Drupal Login Problems

So, in order to post that rant about PHP and SimpleXML I had to fix a problem that seems to have spontaneously arisen with Drupal (this content management system).

For some reason it wasn’t persisting login information, at least from firefox (sorry – iceweasel here on my Debian system). It’s interesting to note, reading about the bug, that it has been around for literally months and doesn’t seem to have been nailed.

So, anyway, I’ve installed some beta of Drupal, and yes, it now seems to be fixed… If I could only solve the problem that I can’t “uncollapse” parts of the content now.

UPDATE: OK, this seems to be a problem with firefox version 2, or probably really the CSS file for it. It works with Galeon, or when I tell firefox to fake being IE .

SimpleXML should be called BloodyAckwardXML

Another night of coding in PHP, and I’ve officially decided that SimpleXML utterly irritates me.

I’d already discovered, much to my irritation, that is virtually impossible to handle SimpleXML objects elegantly with the Smarty template engine – but now I discover I can’t even shove them in a PHP session without trouble – when you next visit the site you get stuff like this:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Node no longer exists

and then more trouble.

As part of a new Web Application Framework I’m working on I wanted to parse XML configuration files one time only, and then cache the results in the session. It looks like I now have to totally redesign my idea :-(. You can see the work in progress at its home page.