I had a Samsung SGH-720 or some such. It’s been nothing but a pain in the butt… very buggy, especially the bluetooth, which required a power cycle to work correctly 75% of the time.
So I got a Sony Ericsson K800i. It seems to be a lovely phone, lovely crisp graphics, good menus and user interface generally. It also has an excellent built-in camera, a 3.2 mega pixel affair. It has bluetooth that … shock horror, actually works.
I was particularly pleased to discover a feature for over-the-wire software upgrades – though none is currently available at present.
However, I’ve had a few problems, which is the really the reason for this comment:
1) very minor, the key tone simply doesn’t work all the time. No real problem…
2) much more seriously, the phone fails to tracks calls some times – i.e. it doesn’t track made calls, and when someone phones you, it tells you there are 0 missed calls – very irritating. I’ve read a few others with the same problem… for me it worked to delete the whole call history and power cycle the phone… so far… it’ll be interesting to see if the problem re-emerges.
So, in order to post that rant about PHP and SimpleXML I had to fix a problem that seems to have spontaneously arisen with Drupal (this content management system).
For some reason it wasn’t persisting login information, at least from firefox (sorry – iceweasel here on my Debian system). It’s interesting to note, reading about the bug, that it has been around for literally months and doesn’t seem to have been nailed.
So, anyway, I’ve installed some beta of Drupal, and yes, it now seems to be fixed… If I could only solve the problem that I can’t “uncollapse” parts of the content now.
UPDATE: OK, this seems to be a problem with firefox version 2, or probably really the CSS file for it. It works with Galeon, or when I tell firefox to fake being IE .
Another night of coding in PHP, and I’ve officially decided that SimpleXML utterly irritates me.
I’d already discovered, much to my irritation, that is virtually impossible to handle SimpleXML objects elegantly with the Smarty template engine – but now I discover I can’t even shove them in a PHP session without trouble – when you next visit the site you get stuff like this:
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Node no longer exists
and then more trouble.
As part of a new Web Application Framework I’m working on I wanted to parse XML configuration files one time only, and then cache the results in the session. It looks like I now have to totally redesign my idea :-(. You can see the work in progress at its home page.
So yesterday my Palm TX wouldn’t switch on. After a lot of frustration I eventually hit the reset button on the back.
Then it kept crashed on the “Palm Powered” logo and entered into an infinite loop – well infinite until the battery ran out. I managed a warm reset and can get a lot of stuff working in that environment, but lots of stuff is unavailable – wifi for example, and blazer crashes the machine everytime.
I bought the TX with a mixture of the usual new gadget glee and reluctance. The reluctance was because I loved my Sharp Zaurus SL-5500, not least since it ran a rock solid GNU/Linux. My TX is nothing like as reliable, but is smaller, with built-in wifi and bluetooth and (unbelievably) better sync support with GNU/Linux desktops.
Looks like I need to hard reset my palm and restore, but I’m very tempted to play with Opie distributions I’ve just found for palm at hackndev. Of course, the real problem is I have a Palm because I haven’t that much free time…
So, here’s a new look for gondolin. Essentially I’m trying out a CMS because I’m too lazy to always have to use some web editor. I hope you like it, it’s easy to reverse if not!